Friday, April 23, 2010

Never Say Die


Larry Dobrow at Ad Age ponders whether the New Yorker is sustainable in its current form.  I doubt the weekly mag is going anywhere or changing much, since the flagship publication is the only title Conde Nast didn't subject to budget and staff cuts when the media conglomerate pulled out the ax last year.  Personally, I think it's probably the best publication out there and should find reason to exist indefinitely, if only for my own benefit.  But I do agree with a few of Dobrow's points.  I declined to renew my subscription as well, if only because I couldn't keep up with five 10,000 word features per week, no matter how good they are.  New Yorker, along with Harper's and The Atlantic, provides informative escape when I need some (and solid fiction when I don't need the info).  Even if it's now only once in a while instead of once a week.


Read the entire article at Ad Age.